Total Parenteral Nutrition
Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) is a lifesaving therapy which can be safely and conveniently administered in the comfortable surroundings of a patient’s own home. The goal of TPN therapy is to provide the patient with needed protein, calories, electrolytes, vitamins, and other nutrients to maintain or replenish the body cell mass. TPN therapy must be administered intravenously (IV) through a central venous catheter.
Common diagnoses for total parenteral nutrition
- GI Tract Cancer
- Crohn’s Disease
- Malabsorption Syndrome
- Inflammatory-Bowel Resection
- Persistent Intestinal Fistulae
- Trauma-Related GI Complications
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Short-Bowel Syndrome
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Other conditions severely limiting intestinal function
Advantages of home IV parenteral therapy
- Patients are more comfortable, often recover faster, and experience fewer complications.
- Home IV therapy costs considerably less than hospital-administered therapy.
- Enhanced quality of life: Patients on home IV therapy are able to enjoy routine activities, hobbies, and in many cases, are able to return to work.
This quality of life factor is a key reason patients recover faster at home
- NuCara professionals assess and monitor patients on a case-by-case basis, coordinating therapy with the patient’s physician, local nursing agencies, and family members.
- NuCara utilizes only highly skilled nurses to administer home IV therapies, and provides specialized training for nursing agencies involved.
- Complete patient training in appropriate self-care is provided; this training includes family members, who may participate as caregivers.
- NuCara’s services include the personal delivery of all needed equipment and supplies, and 24- hour, on-call availability.
To refer a patient, please contact a NuCara Pharmacy near you for an immediate free assessment.